Bridal Fitter/ Tailor/Seamstress in beautiful Asheville, NC
Expert Clothing Fitter and Tailor/Seamstress
Bridal Fitter/Master Seamstress/Tailor
Are you passionate about clothes that fit? Do you love sewing and people equally? Are you looking for a collaborative and creative place to work? Join us at Sugarcane Studios where we do professional sewing work with a personal touch.
Sugarcane Studios is a professional sewing studio that serves the local Asheville, NC community by offering high-quality sewing services of all types. What started as a one-woman business is growing steadily and now has a small, but mighty staff. We specialize in bridal and formalwear, but also do general alterations, make custom clothing, build a variety of costumes, and take on other creative projects as they come up. We also sew for selected local companies, doing patterning work, sample-making, and/or small batch sewing. The work is varied and interesting, [but challenging] and always of the highest, professional quality. We move at a fast pace and always have a full-schedule. We love challenging projects and showing our community the value of high-level sewing.
- We believe in openness, communication, quality work, and a supportive environment.
- We search for the most creative, dedicated, and hard-working people
- We are constantly striving to improve and better ourselves and our work so that we can better support our clients.
- If you have a growth mindset and you thrive under pressure, you are probably a great fit for our team!
- We are looking to expand our team and add an expert fitter who shares the same drive, passion, and commitment as our current staff.
We are looking for an experienced bridal gown fitter who also has high-level skills as a seamstress/tailor.
Ideal Candidate Traits: Candidate must have professional fitting [and sewing] experience, a positive attitude, and a willingness to learn new things, take directions, and give/receive constructive criticism. Experience in all types of fitting and alterations is mandatory….bridal experience is a bonus, but can be trained if not extensive. Knowledge of menswear is vital too. This position is also essentially an education and sales position as they will be showing clients how their clothes should fit and making suggestions on how they can look their best, as well as communicating costs.
This position will work directly with customers and may oversee and/or train other seamstresses, so you must be a good communicator, have great people skills, ability to teach skills, and large amounts of patience and grace. Additionally, you will need to be flexible and willing to work on anything from large, heavy wedding dresses…to jeans…to silk slips, for example. I am looking for someone who is committed to improving their own skills, as well as looking for ways to improve the process and our studio systems continually. This position is collaborative and creative. Our studio is body-positive and affirming. Basic patternmaking skills are not necessary, but a bonus!
– Will be responsible to use the processes and systems that Sugarcane Studios has developed which have led to hundreds of 5-star reviews online from over 1200 happy brides served.
– Will handle at least 3 days of bridal and general alterations fittings per week.
– Will sew for remaining 2 days/week.
– Will communicate with and guide the seamstresses in doing the alterations that he/she fitted.
– Will work with studio assistant for managing the workflow and the client schedule.
– Will look for ways to improve their own work as well as the systems and processes of the shop.
– Will participate in the cleaning and organizing of the shop, answering the phone, greeting customers, and other general studio tasks as all employees are expected to help with.
– May be asked to make custom studio products such as veils, robes, dresses, etc. as ordered by clients or to be sold in our small retail area.
- If you’re the right person for this opportunity, you must be an experienced clothing fitter and an intermediate-to-advanced sewer
- 5+ years of relevant experience (bridal industry, special occasion garment construction, corsetry, costume, etc)
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and handle multiple priorities
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledgeable on patterns (ability to adjust flat patterns to custom measurements) is a plus!
- May be asked to pass a sewing test
Compensation: $16-18/hr starting rate, dependent on experience and skill-level. In Asheville, this reflects a level above Living Wage standards.
Terms: Full-time. Tuesday through Saturday, 9:30-6pm. Will alternate with other fitters for 1-2 Saturdays off per month.
Benefits: Accrued PTO, 8 paid holidays, small health insurance stipend. Large, beautiful workspace and supportive team. End-of-year bonus based on profitability and performance. Possible relocation stipend.
Additional Company Info: Sugarcane Studios is a company with a big vision, with plans to grow into a job-leader in the region. Employees will be a part of growing and changing this company into a full-service sewing center for Asheville, NC. Health insurance, 401K, and other employee benefits will be added as the company grows. We are looking for people who want to be a part of this growth and can see themselves helping reach this vision by being dedicated long-term.
If interested, please apply through our Indeed listing (link below) by sending a cover letter telling me about your experience, skills and why you would be great for the job, along with a resume with 2 references.
- Listing ID: 54320
- Contact Name: Tara Nyanga