Business Development Manager (B2B)
Business Development Manager (B2B)
We are looking for an experienced, passionate, strategic and creative Business Development Manager (B2B) with an entrepreneurial spirit happy to wear many hats and become an integral part of our fast-growing business.
This role is a new one created to help us continue our ongoing growth (B2B sales up 125% so far for 2020) and take Hawthorn Handmade to the next level. The craft industry as a whole has seen incredible growth this year and is now worth £51 billion worldwide. You will develop and implement a strategic plan for all B2B activity and sales, increasing revenue and accounts and building brand awareness both home and abroad. You will find new opportunities and relationships in the contemporary craft and gift markets as well as researching and seeking out new ways to build the business. You will nurture existing partnerships, create effective campaigns and pitches and analyse and monitor the performance of all sales.
After an initial period of learning within the company you will transition into your managerial role overseeing all B2B sales activity. Key targets and strategies will have the input of the Creative Director, but you will be expected to take the reins and make this role your own, growing it as the business itself grows.
- This is a permanent contract with a 6-month probationary period starting in January 2021.
- A minimum of 30 hours a week up to full time. There is flexibility here for the ideal candidate.
- Salary from £25,000 (pro rata) depending on experience, plus pension, flexible working options, casual dress, expenses and company discounts.
- Based at Unit 11 St Patricks Industrial Estate, Shillingstone, Dorset DT11 0SA, UK with some work away from the office for trade shows and meetings. There is the option of some remote working, but you must be able to come to the office regularly.
About Hawthorn Handmade
Here at Hawthorn Handmade we design and make our needle felting, cross stitch, weaving and embroidery craft kits with lots of crafty love. Hawthorn Handmade started in 2013 in the back room of owner Stephanie Carswell’s previous business and has since grown into a vibrant creative and award-winning company. We are fuelled by beautiful design, contemporary craft and a desire to learn (and the occasional biscuit or two!). Our kits are sold online and through our network of stockists including John Lewis, LoveCrafts.com and C&H. Winners of the 2019 Craft Business Awards ‘Best Emerging Brand’ and the 2020 Craft Business Awards ‘Best Stitching Manufacturer’.
Your main responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Managing all B2B accounts including communicating with new and existing accounts and nurturing and growing strong relationships and brand loyalty.
- Growing sales by bringing in new wholesale accounts and partners through targeted research, pitching and campaigns.
- Researching, implementing and developing new markets (domestic and export) and routes to market.
- Seeking out and identifying new product opportunities and working with the Creative Director to develop those products.
- Researching, planning and following up from trade shows and other events to maximise the return on investment (this will involve some travel, both within the UK and abroad).
- Forecasting sales and regularly analysing actual data against predictions and adjusting plans accordingly.
- Regularly monitoring and analysing sales data against relevant activity, and using that information to inform ongoing sales and marketing decisions.
- Coordinating photography, POS and other assets for wholesale customers and ensuring all information required is provided in a timely manner.
- Ongoing management of the wholesale website and catalogues ensuring they are up to date.
- Working with the rest of the team to develop relevant marketing materials, copy and PR to increase awareness of the brand and bring in new B2B accounts and sales.
- Ensuring that all communications from the business are cohesive and of one voice.
Ideally you will:
- Have proven experience of account management and business development in a B2B environment.
- Have a knowledge of and interest in the contemporary craft or creative gift industries.
- Be able to demonstrate evidence of a positive impact on sales through a variety of approaches.
- Have a strong understanding of margins, profitability and business economics.
- Work well on your own initiative requiring minimal input from others to get on with what’s needed.
- Have a creative and positive outlook and a passion for personal development and entrepreneurship.
- Have excellent project management skills and can juggle multiple priorities whilst communicating honestly about your progress.
- Be focussed on getting the details right and don’t let things slip through the cracks.
- Be highly IT and web literate and pick up new platforms and software quickly and with ease.
- Be able to communicate clearly and confidently with a wide variety of people, in person, on the phone and video calls, and in writing.
- Be able to build excellent working relationships with all other members of a small team.
- Have the desire and drive to commit and make the role your own.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. We want to hear:
- Why you would be the ideal candidate for Hawthorn Handmade.
- How your experience and skills meets our requirements.
- Why you want to work with us.
Applications that do not include a covering letter will not be accepted.
A Note on Covid-19/Coronavirus – Due to the space available to us and careful planning and restrictions, we have been able to create a Covid-19 safe working environment where all staff feel comfortable working. We have implemented safe working distances of 2m and a strict policy of handwashing and sanitising of workspaces. If you have any concerns about applying due to the current situation, please do get in touch.