Updated: June 15, 2015.
We use some shorthand to make these terms easier to read. When we say “site,” we mean craftindustryalliance.org and the services offered through that site. When we say “we,” we mean Craft Industry Alliance, LLC, an Oregon limited liability company. When we say “you” or “your”, we mean you, the user. When we say “your content,” we mean any text, sound, photos, videos, illustrations, location data, or other material which you post, upload, or otherwise share on the site. Similarly, when we say “CIA content,” we mean the copyrightable text, sound, graphics, and other material owned by CIA. And when we say “terms,” we mean these terms of service.
Accepting these terms
Please read these terms before using the site. If you do not agree to these terms, you may not register for the site.
If we make material changes to these terms, we’ll let you know either through the site or via email. If you do not agree to changes, you may cancel your account. If you continue to use the site after changes to these terms have been posted, the revised terms will apply to you.
Use of this site requires that you provide certain personal information, including your name, your business name, and your email addresses. As you use this site, you will also provide your content. We will store your content and personal information but we will not share it with any third parties except as necessary to provide the services offered, to monitor usage, to improve the service, and as otherwise described in these terms. For example, we may store your content and personal information on a third party server such as WP Engine Web Services; or we may use a third party analytics tool like Intercom to learn how you are using the site and how we can improve that experience.
We may be required to disclose your content and account information in order to:
- comply with the law or legal process;
- protect or defend our rights or property, or the rights or property of others;
- enforce these terms; or
- respond to claims that the content of any material on our system violates the rights of others.
If we must disclose your content and personal information in order to comply with the law or legal process, we will inform you (at the email address you provide) as soon as practicable, provided that it is lawful for to do so.
We aggregate user information and perform statistical analyses of the collective behavior of our customers and visitors, to measure overall demographics, and to analyze how to improve our service. We may share this information with third parties (such as Google Analytics), but such aggregate information does not contain personal information other than IP addresses. In addition, we may compile and disclose aggregate information about our users for promotional purposes, to advise customers about best practices for using the site or other purposes. For example, we might want to disclose that a certain percentage of our users are interested in a particular type of craft or are more online at a particular time of day.
We use session and login cookies to keep track of when a person is logged in, to determine the content or sites users link to, and to identify the services people use. We will also capture login timestamps, and usage statistics, as well as IP addresses. We’ll capture some information about your content (such as file size, file type, etc.). We may also feature on our website or promote materials you have made available to the public. We will not view your unpublished content unless you give permission, if necessary to comply with legal obligations, or if necessary to verify your compliance with these terms.
We will communicate with you via email. Some communications, such as emails informing you of new features, may be unsubscribed to via the unsubscribe link in the email.
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition or asset sale, your content and account information may be transferred to the buyer. You will receive notice of the transfer.
The security of your content and account information is important, but no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your content and account information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If we believe your account has been breached we will promptly notify you of the breach at the email address that you provide (or by other legal means if we believe that your email account has been breached).
CIA is designed for use by adults and young people over a certain age. You must be thirteen years of age or older to use it. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of thirteen, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under the age of thirteen, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you use the site, you represent that you have the legal capacity to form a binding contract with us, and are doing so by your agreement to these terms.
Copyright and intellectual property
You own your stuff; we own ours.
You retain ownership of your content. However, by posting, uploading, or sharing your content, you (i) represent that you have authority to use your content in the manner contemplated by the service and these terms and (ii) you grant us a non-exclusive, perpetual, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to access, use, modify, reproduce, and display your content for the purpose of providing the service and as necessary under these terms. This license continues when you delete the material or your account is deactivated or cancelled. This license permits us to perform the services that you registered for. For example, it permits us to store your content on redundant data servers, but it does not permit us to sell your content to advertisers or any other third party, nor does it transfer the copyright to us.
In addition, the site provides features that allow you to share your content with others. There are many things that others may do with that content, including copying it, modifying it, and re-sharing it. So, please consider carefully what you choose to share and with whom; we take no responsibility for that activity.
All CIA content, the selection, compilation, arrangement and presentation of all materials, and the overall design of the site are copyrighted by us, and are protected by US and international laws. If you are writing about something you’ve seen on our site, you may use one image with attribution and a link back to the original source.
Craft Industry Alliance, craftindustryalliance.org, craftindustryalliance.com, and the Craft Industry Alliance logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Craft Industry Alliance, LLC, in the United States and other foreign countries.
Billing and payment
Subscriptions to the site are either for six-months or one year. Discounts are available to businesses subscribing three or more employees provided they have email address with the same business domain. A valid credit card is required.
Subscriptions renew automatically at the rates then in effect unless you notify us that you do not wish to renew. You can turn off automatic renewal in your account preferences. All subscription payments are nonrefundable – refunds are not given if you close your account prior to the end of the subscription period for which you are paid or for upgrades/downgrades to service levels.
All payments due are in U.S. dollars. Payment is due for the entire subscription period at the start of the subscription. All fees are exclusive of any taxes.
Cancellation and termination
You are responsible for properly canceling your account. You can cancel your account at any time by clicking on the Account link in the global navigation bar at the top of the screen. From there click Subcription > Cancel.
When your account is canceled your content (e.g., forum posts) will remain on the site but your account and the member-only areas of the site will not be accessible. CIA reserves the right to delete inactive accounts.
CIA, in its sole discretion, has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the service, for any reason at any time. CIA reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.
CIA deals with copyright infringement in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
You may not upload any content to the site that belongs to a third party unless you have the legal right to do so. If you believe that any such content has been posted on the site, please send a notice of copyright infringement containing the following information to the designated agent at the address below:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material.
- Contact information for the notifying party, including name, address, telephone number, and email address.
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Information provided in a notice of copyright infringement may be forwarded to the user who posted the allegedly infringing content. If a DMCA notice is valid, we will respond expeditiously to remove the material that is claimed to be infringing. We will also notify the person who posted the allegedly infringing material that we have removed such material.
If you believe that material has been removed improperly, you must send a written counter notification to the agent, and include:
- A physical or electronic signature.
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
- A statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification.
- Your name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if your address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which we may be found, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided the original notification or an agent of such person.
Upon receipt of a counter notification complying with these requirements, we will promptly provide the original reporter with a copy of the counter notification, and inform that person that we may replace the removed material if we do not receive notice within ten business days that the original reporter is seeking a court order to prevent further infringement of the material at issue.
PO Box 812397
Wellesley, MA 02482
CIA is designed to provide news and information to help craft industry professionals succeed, while providing a community for interaction, sharing, and support. As such, we have some ground rules which you must adhere to when using the site.
You agree not to do any of the following:
- Threaten other users with violence.
- Use hateful, abusive, harassing, libelous, or obscene language towards other users.
- Post any material that infringes or violates any third party’s copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy, or other proprietary or property right;
- Post any material which promotes illegal activity, could constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any applicable law or regulation;
- Use the site to send spam, chain letters, junk mail, or any other type of unsolicited mass email;
- Use the site to distribute viruses or other harmful, disruptive, or destructive files;
- Use or attempt to use another person’s account;
- Disrupt or interfere with the security of, or otherwise abuse, the site, or any servers or networks connected to the site;
- Attempt to obtain unauthorized access to the site;
- Impersonate another person;
- Share with any minor any content or materials inappropriate for children, or allow any minor access to such materials;
- Systematically harvest data from the site, or programmatically register accounts on the site.
You agree that you are responsible for your actions on the site and for any communications under your account. You also agree that you will comply with all applicable laws in your use of the site.
If it appears you have violated any of these rules, we may, in our sole discretion, remove any offending material or cancel your account.
Disclaimer of warranties
We strive to prevent interruptions to the service and be good stewards of your data. However, the site and our services are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. We disclaim all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation any warranty of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. We do not make any warranty that the site or our services will meet your requirements, or that the services will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error free, or that defects, if any, will be corrected. You understand that you download from or otherwise obtain content or services through the site at your own discretion and risk.
Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of certain warranties so the limitations above may not apply to you.
Limitations of liability
To the extent permitted by applicable law, under no circumstances — including, without limitation, negligence — shall we be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, resulting from (1) the use or the inability to use the site; (2) the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services; (3) unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; (4) loss of profits, use, data or other intangibles, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the total liability of CIA for any claim under these terms, including for any implied warranties, is limited to $100.00.
Some jurisdictions may not allow the limitation of liability so the limitations above may not apply to you.
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless CIA, its officers, directors, employees, members, partners, agents, and suppliers, and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, employees, members, shareholders, partners, and agents, from any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the site, including but not limited to your violation of these terms. We may, at our sole discretion, assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you. The assumption of such defense or control by CIA, however, does not excuse any of your indemnity obligations.
Changes to the site
We may at any time decide to alter, amend, modify, or terminate the site, any functionality or portion of it, all in our sole discretion, and you understand that there is no guarantee that the site or any portion or functionality of it will continue to operate or be available for any particular period of time. We try to give advance notice of any material changes to the site.
- Any claim arising out of your use of the service must be brought in the courts located within Washington County, Oregon. You herby submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of those courts.
- You agree that any claim you may have arising out of or related to these terms or your relationship with CIA must be filed within one year after such claim arose; otherwise, your claim is permanently barred.
- We may revise these terms from time to time. We will notify you of any revisions in advance of such revisions becoming effective. By using the service after revisions become effective, you agree to be bound by the revised terms. If you do not agree to the revised terms, you must cancel your account.
- These terms are the entire agreement between us with respect to its subject matter and supersedes any prior or contemporaneous agreements, written or oral.
- These terms are governed by Oregon law except for its conflicts of laws principles.
- A waiver of any breach is not a waiver of any subsequent breach. A waiver is not effective unless pursuant to a writing signed by CIA expressly waiving compliance.
- Except for payment obligations by you, neither of us will be liable for inadequate performance to the extent caused by a condition that was beyond the party’s reasonable control (for example, natural disaster, act of war or terrorism, riot, labor condition, governmental action, and Internet disturbance).
- There are no third-party beneficiaries to these terms.
Portions of this document are used — with permission — from Editorially under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license