This episode of the podcast is a little bit different because it’s the annual Community Episode. As we wrap up the year I turn to you, my listeners, and ask you to recommend great stuff you’re enjoying right now.
I have to say this is one of my favorite episodes of the year! I always learn about new and interesting things and it’s so fun to have your voices on the show. (Listen to Community Episode from years past here and here).
Like in years past, my friend, Stacey Trock, co-hosts this episode with me. Stacey and I met on Twitter many years ago. She comes from a crochet background and is now a marketing consultant for craft businesses. Stacey is an avid reader and maker and I love having her help me wrap up the year on the podcast.
The recommendations fall into three general categories: books, notions and tools, and apps and websites/podcasts. We introduce each category by recommending a few things that we love and then we’ll hear from listeners.
We start out with books:
- Tartine Bread (affiliate link)
- Yarnitecture: A Knitter’s Guide to Spinning
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
- Mason-Dixon Knitting Field Guide No. 5: Sequences
And then we heard from listeners. One listener recommended an event, so I put that in the book section since we didn’t have many books:
- Jesy Anderson of needleinkandthread.com recommends 50 Little Gifts: Easy Patchwork Projects to Give or Swap (affiliate link)
- Kimberly Payne of straightstitchdesigns.com recommends Craftcation
Next up we recommended notions and tools.
- Twill and Print enamel pins
- using a Surface and backing up to the cloud
- leaving papers in your English Paper Piecing project until the very end
Listeners had lots of great recommendations in this category!
- Joan Olson of greensheepstudio.com recommends daylight bulbs (affiliate link)
- Donna Westerkamp of donnawesterkamp.com recommends Full Line Stencils quilt marking tool
- Kelly Robinson of texasfarmgal on Instagram recommends the Bohin automatic needle threader (affiliate link)
- Leanne Nagel of simplycleverdesigns.com recommends Bobbin Buddies (affiliate link)
About halfway through the episode, I drew two names at random from all of the listeners who were brave enough to call in. A big thank you to Spoonflower and Chronicle Books for donating lovely prizes for the winners!
Next up we move on to apps, websites, and podcasts.
And I recommend:
- Kristin Esser of simplehandmadeeveryday recommends Elm Street Quilts’ One Monthly Goal linkup posts
- Maeri Howard of themakeanddostudio.co.uk and maerihoward.com recommends Storeo and Unfold
- Stephanie Woodson of swoodsonsays.com recommends WomensArt1 on Twitter
- Kat Griffith of sewbot_kat on Instagram recommends the Articles of Interest podcast series by 99% Invisible
- Frances O’Roark O’Dowell of offkilterquilt.com recommends the Simple Handmade Everyday podcast
- Gay Barrett recommends The Stitch TV Show
- Kim Martucci of brimfieldawakening.com and Patty Dudek of elmstreetquilts.com recommend The Quilt Fiction Podcast
- Trixi Symonds of colouredbuttons.com and sewasoftie.com recommends the Social Media Marketing podcast
Whew! So many neat new things to check out. I hope this episode introduces you to few gems you will enjoy in 2019. Thank you so much to all of the listeners who called in this year. It was tremendous fun to hear your voices and I so appreciate your willingness to be part of the show.
This episode is sponsored by Cultured Expressions. Cultured Expressions offers a unique mix of African prints, batiks, mudcloth, precuts beads, kits & more for sewing, quilting, crafts and décorating.
Visit CulturedExpressions.com, your African Fabric Lifestyle & DIY Destination, and use the code “ABBY” to save 20% thru Jan 15, 2019.
You can listen to this episode by clicking on the green arrow below, or subscribe to the Craft Industry Alliance podcast on iTunes or on Stitcher so you never miss an episode. If you enjoy the show, tell a friend about it! Thank you so much.